Sometimes we can only grasp onto a few characteristics of the protagonist we’re creating. Sometimes we can TELL they’re hiding a secret from us. Sometimes, you want to find a way to add some more depth to them.
Below, I’ve created 32 questions for you to “ask” your characters to get to know them better. Just copy the questions into a document and ask away!
Something to think about: How does your character answer these questions in their heads? Or to their best friend? Or to a complete stranger? Keeping in mind what kind of information they are reluctant to divulge will be important to note as you write their story down, especially if they are a Point of View character.
I hope these questions are helpful for you! Have at it!
CHARACTER INTERVIEW QUESTIONS by Catherine Bakewell
- Where are you from?
- What do you like about your home?
- What do you dislike about your home?
- Where do you go for refuge?
- What is it refuge from?
- What do you do to relax?
- What motivates you?
- What’s your life’s dream?
- What would you do to make your dreams come true?
- What would it look like if you didn’t get that dream?
- What stands in your way of happiness right now?
- If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
- What do you look for in a life partner?
- Is there anyone you can trust?
- Tell me about your family.
- Who do you dread talking to and why?
- What is your nervous habit?
- What’s your biggest strength?
- What’s your biggest weakness?
- Is there anything you would change about yourself?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What would you say is your superpower–what talent or ability do you have that makes you unique?
- What’s your biggest fear? Anything from spiders to death of a loved one works!
- If you got everything you wanted, what would that look like for you? How would you feel?
- What is an object/smell/food/sight that makes you think of home?
- What’s your least favorite childhood memory?
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- Describe a place or situation that would be your DISCOMFORT zone?
- Do you trust people easily? Why or why not?
- Do people trust you, overall?
- What’s your life motto/philosophy, summed up in a sentence?
- Lastly, are you happy with the person you are today? If not, in what ways would you like to change?